I went through a big professional rupture about eight years ago. At the time, I felt like I was standing in a huge gap between my life as it was and how I longed for it to be.
Having earned two Harvard master’s degrees, I imagined myself shooting like a firework into the sky, raining down amazing ideas and enjoying a life full of delightful colleagues and meaningful contributions. Instead, my work flame had flickered brightly and died.
When I look back at a photo from this season of my life, I barely recognize myself. The strain of three children under five and a demanding nonprofit leadership job left me depleted.
Stress, like a layer of dust, had seriously diminished my sparkle.
While I had beautiful spiritual teachers who were lifelines through this process – one who introduced me to the Enneagram, an ancient personality map, and another who was an experienced life coach full of real world wisdom– they did not seem to speak the same language. One was gifted at the deep dive, the other the day-to-day steps forward.
I longed to know how to integrate their suggestions – how to take the shimmering spiritual truths and actually live them. I wanted to feel freer and more present. I absolutely wanted to stop feeling like I was missing my children’s lives because of the pace of my work and internal pressures to contribute. I was tired of consuming myself on the inside to accomplish on the outside.
And though I didn’t know it at the time, what I most wanted was for someone to hand me a magic elixir – a formula that would free me to both discover and release my unique gifts to the world and to flourish in my personal life.
My book and Flourish coaching programs are my effort to pay it forward and to help other women create the formula I longed for during this time of transition. The Flourish Formula shows you how to slow down and create more space in which to live your life. Not because slowing down itself is the goal. I suppose it’s possible to sprint through life and be truly happy. But in my experience, if we only have one speed – pressing us ever onward or even accelerating – it becomes impossible to notice the subtle course corrections we need to make along the way.
Full speed ahead sets us up for some unpleasant outcomes: a body breakdown – because all that stress wreaks havoc on your tissues – and/or a serious episode of work-related depression: when you arrive breathless at the top of your particular mountain only to wonder, “What the hell comes next?”
I want to help you avoid this type of physical and psychological pain, but there’s a deeper reason I want to share the Flourish Formula with you. I don’t believe that you would have found your way to this website if you did not have something precious and potent to share with your community and our world. Something unique and sorely needed. And now is a time for well-resourced revolutionaries.
We need women who are able to step – in all our wholeness – into leadership roles of every type, from our families on up. And when we are stuck in patterns of sprinting until we collapse, we never actually build the capacity inside ourselves to unlock and share those unique gifts.
Which Brings Me to You
If you’ve read this far, thank you. I hope this is just the beginning of our relationship.
I share lots of free content regularly to my email list. I’m committed to bringing you the very best of what I’m learning as well as potent tools and techniques for living your most spacious life. These include guided meditations and other powerful (and quick) strategies for resetting when stress builds. I also try to walk my talk. While I coach over the internet and phone (as well as hosting live retreats), I aim to enjoy as much unplugged time as possible.
For example, last year my family and I relocated to Nicaragua for a year of global adventuring. My husband and I met in Nicaragua as a Peace Corps volunteer years ago. We wanted to gift our children an opportunity to immerse themselves in Spanish and to gain a global perspective. Plus we wanted to simplify our life and home so that we could lighten our eco footprint and spend our time in ways that are more meaningful for us. In addition to volunteering to help children in a poor barrio of Granada learn to read, my husband worked with me to edit and publish my first book, which was an exciting collaboration for our family.
During our time out of the country I found that my children and Nicaraguan neighbors were powerful guides in the art of slowing down and savoring more. In the summer of 2018 we relocated to Asheville, NC — drawn here by the pleasures of abundant farmers markets, hikes to explore, and my husbands family. I love sharing pics of everyday adventures on Instagram and Facebook but am not super active on social media, so if you want more from me, the email list is how we can best stay in touch.
When you sign up you will receive a free excerpt of my book The Flourish Formula, which reveals the eight steps to the Flourish process. It will walk you through the fundamentals of how you can slow down and actually accomplish more, all while enjoying your whole life – professional and personal – to the fullest.
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. I’m honored that you are here and can’t wait to continue the conversation.
If you would like to learn more about my professional credentials and official bio, read on below.
Media & Press
Courtney Pinkerton is a certified holistic life coach and the author of the Amazon bestseller, The Flourish Formula: An Overachiever’s Guide to Slowing Down & Accomplishing More. Courtney is a student and a teacher of the Enneagram who has helped hundreds of busy women slow down and accomplish and enjoy more in their life. She holds dual master’s degrees from Harvard Divinity School and Harvard Kennedy School, is the creator of the Flourish Formula Coaching program and Flourish Mastermind, and hosts international retreats for women. After selling their house and all their belongings and spending a year adventuring in Nicaragua, Courtney and her husband Richard Amory and their three children are making a new home in a co-housing community in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more at CourtneyPinkerton.com
Courtney’s ten plus years as a mentor, advocate and coach equip her to teach and write with authority on a range of mindbody and mindset strategies for flourishing, including:
Busyness & Overwhelm
- How to Break Free from the “Busyness Fog” and Create a More Spacious Schedule (and Life)
- How to Slow Down & Accomplish More
- Subversive Self-Care: How to Create an Oasis of Calm in a Busy Day
- Time Management & The Myth of Balance
- Nine Secret Motivations That Keep Us Sprinting Through Life (Using The Enneagram)
- How to Prevent Body Breakdowns Related to Stress
- Work Envy & How to Break Free From the Habit of “Comparing & Despairing”
- The Secret to Slowing Down in a Way That Sticks
Spirit & Fulfillment
- How to Find a Meditation Practice That Fits You
- Three Stumbling Blocks to Starting a Meditation Practice & How to Move Through Them
- Why Self-Compassion is the Foundation for Lasting Change
- How to Dial Down the Voice of the Inner Critic
- How to Opt Out of The Gold Star Economy Yet Still Accomplish & Enjoy MORE
- Parenting with the Enneagram: Nine Human Energies & How They Live in Your Family
- Creating Your Family Culture including Home Celebrations: Oases of Respite and Renewal in Busy Lives. Many of our agricultural festivals and religious holidays have become overly commercialized and devoid of much meaning. With conscious intention we can ensoul them and make our own unique celebrations which give us courage and hope for the future.
- Finding Freedom from Old Parenting Habits
- How to Support your Child in Developing into Who They Authentically Are — Not Who They Think You Want Them to Be
- Masters of Divinity from Harvard Divinity School and Masters of Public Policy (with a focus on leadership and social entrepreneurship) from the Harvard Kennedy School.
- Author of The Flourish Formula: An Overachiever’s Guide to Slowing Down and Accomplishing More
- Certified Life Coach trained by Dr. Martha Beck, Oprah’s personal coach and Certified Holistic Life Coach from the Spencer Institute
- Trained with The Enneagram in the Narrative Tradition Community, with a special interest in how our personality type is expressed somatically, or in our bodies.
- Host of The Summer of Meditation Challenge
Courtney is available to write articles for your blog and website as well as for phone or video interviews and teaching engagements. She loves to custom design content to match the needs of each particular group. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.